Friday 11 October 2013

Jammy

For the first time in several years I've been making jams&jellies. I stopped because nobody at home liked jam, but we had access to a bumper crop of figs, there's a limit to how many you can eat in a day. Along with everyone's windfall apples and some of my grapes they make a very good jam. Grape&apple jelly with pepper, ginger & chillis is perfect to go with cheese, or cheese straws. I discovered that you can use about 25% less sugar than the recipe for jellies, if it doesn't set don't panic, just boil it again to a slightly higher temperature. The range of reds, all glistening in clean jars is very pleasing, even the mint jelly's a gentle ruby from the grapes.
In future when I make apple crumble, I'll freeze the skin&core to make jelly when I have enough, boiled to a pulp, strained through a jelly bag and added to jam it guarantees setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment