Sunday 15 December 2013

Christmas is a'coming... and orchids

Christmas is a'coming even if I'm not ready! The wreath's done, with holly berries this year, thanks to our                       new Garden Club. Until the '87 storm we had a holly tree, but never any berries.


One more fused glass creation, to replace the spider-infested penguin (it's a long story) for the top of the                                                                              Christmas tree.


Just to add to the decoration, the Paphiopedilum I was given for my birthday a couple of years ago is in full                                                                          flower.




                                                          I particularly like the furry ovary.
My moth orchids are always in flower, they seem to go on for ever, flowering for 6 months at a time is not unusual. Lots of complicated advice is given on their care, I find a very sunny windowsill and neglect works. They get water about once a fortnight, fed a couple of times in the summer and leave the flowering stems as  buds sprout from the stalk when the first flowers have gone, only cut it when it's brown & dead. I've even had a whole new plant from the top of a stalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment