Friday 15 March 2013

British Museum

I went up to the Ice Age Art at the British Museum the other day, no photos allowed which was a shame, but it was brilliant. Here's a link to some images, the expected animals and mother earth figure, but done with totally unexpectedly fine skill and sensitivity. Some of the figures had real-person faces, and the animals could almost move. I figure was probably articulated, like the Victorian toys. Anyone who has an hour or so should go, timed tickets so get it in advance or leave yourself all day to wander and wait.
I went to a couple of the free gallery taster tours, 3/4 hour with an enthusiastic volunteer talking about the exhibits, very interesting.
The Japanese gallery is always good, and changes often enough to be worth many visits. I've always liked netsuke, this bat one is for L and her long-standing obsession!


Skulls are everywhere nowadays, this one with the lizard is particularly attractive.


How refreshing to sea a real-life nude with wrinkles and a bit if fat, rather than the ubiquitous anorexic models.


The Aztec two headed serpent fascinated me on a school trip in the 60s, I spent my meagre pocket money on a post card of it, which I still have. Interestingly L bought the same on a school trip 35 years later. I can't pinpoint the attraction, it's not pretty or obviously appealing to small girls. Maybe it's scary enough to be interesting, but not realistic enough to be too terrifying. The bright turquoise is striking in spite of the dim light.




No comments:

Post a Comment