Friday 27 July 2012

Books.

I'm now getting stuck into organising my 60-mind-improving-books challenge, I'll post them with comments in clusters, it's hard to define what's mind-improving, I think it needs to be thought-provoking, educational in some form or make one view things a little differently. I may amend that definition.
Milton's Paradise Lost in a full annotated academic edition is one on its own so doesn't count towards the 60. To quote one of my more literary and articulate friends "It’s long" but Milton himself is so much more understandable than the accompanying explanations and criticisms! Wonderful word-smith, I suppose that’s why he’s still read on such a major scale. "Treble confusion, vengeance and wrath" is so much more powerful then flinging a few ffffs! He was the first person to use "space" to mean the sky & beyond, and talks about worlds created there. I've finished Book 1, 11 more to go, then maybe Dante's inferno. I'll report back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment