Friday 19 August 2011

23: Tea at the Savoy

I finally had my birthday tea at the Savoy today, it's taken since April to find a date they could fit us in when we were all free, so book early! A nice young man greeted us royally, & took our Snow&Rock & Cotswold bags, then gave us a low table with soft chairs & sofa next to the grand piano in a gazebo with giant Chinese vases.
Deciding on which tea was a major task, Laura went for a fruity-flowery red one, Amy iced tea with raspberry syrup, I had silver needle white tea, mild & subtle, and a small fortune to buy. Sandwiches next, smoked salmon, chicken&mango, ham, egg, cucumber.
 Scones, plain or fruity with cream, jam & wonderful pale creamy lemon curd, possibly even better than Auntie Ethel's. Pastries: the clear winner was the little round pink gooey-chewy meringue.

 After classics like the Moonlight Sonata, Bohemian Rhapsody & Pachelbel's Cannon, Happy Birthday and more cake for the half dozen of us celebrating, then the cake trolley with spicy carrot cake among others.

A million thanks L&A, what a treat. Please may I have a night & dinner somewhere like that when I'm 70 & you're rich&famous?

3 comments:

  1. definately yes to the 70th plan!
    it was such a fun day and im really glad that you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a surprise: no sweet chili sauce on the table :) It looks very good nevertheless, I think I will book for an afternoon tea at the Savoy very soon !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sebastien, I think they might have thought me mad even for the English! Don't have lunch before you go, it's lavish!

    ReplyDelete